Friday 5 August 2011

Hong Kong, Magazines and Vintage Chic!

So much has happened! I flew off to Hong Kong for 3 weeks with my partner, Ras, for a holiday in June/July, which is why I haven't been around much! We are planning on moving to Hong Kong late this year/early next year, so this was Ras' chance to show me around and make me fall in love with the country I'd agreed to move to (before having even been!). As luck would have it, I fell in love instantly, depsite the monsoon style rain for the frst 3 days.
Hong Kong is such a vibrant, fast, bright city full of friendly, interesting people and suprises hidden around every corner! Before setting off, I asked a few friends of mine who had been for some ideas of what to see and the overwhelming response was "The Big Buddha!". So, as well as sampling the amazing local food, seeing the wild monkeys in Kowloon and dodging giant spiders (hand sized, bird eating monsters) on Cheung Chau, we headed over to Lantau Island for a wander around a traditional Buddist village (complete with a Shaolin Monk show) and the long climb up to the biggest, outdoor, bronze, seated Buddha in the world!
Moments later, they all ran away, so I was quite lucky to get this shot!

Hope he doesn't fall off!

Samping the local cuisine

Golden Silk Orb Weaver. They are HUGE. Thank goodness for giant zoom lenses!

I take no creit for this beautiful photo, it was taken by my partner, Ras.

Funky angles, anyone?

 I won't bore you with more pictures from Hong Kong - we were there for 3 weeks so, as I'm sure you can imagine, there are a LOT of photographs!
In all, it was an amazing experience and I simply can't wait until we finally move over there! It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, one which I am going to grab with both hands and enjoy to its fullest extent!

Just before I went off to HK, I was shooting at the fabulous Light Spot Studios in Hackney. Whilst there, a photographer who I worked with back in February at another studio mentioned that she'd seen me in a magazine. As I was unaware of this, she told me which magazine it was and I started a hunt for a copy of it (it was an old issue, and the company had run out of back-issues). After a day or two, a lovely photographer from Net-Model offered to give me his copy. So when I arrived back in the U.K, I was greeted by a copy of Advanced Photographer magazine, with my face gracing on of the pages!

The picture in question was taken by Phil Winterbourne, a fantastic photographer who I worked with in March.


Whilst we're on the subject of publications, I may as well tell you of another magazine I found myself in, but this time it's an online magazine for a vintage clothing company called solovesvintage, for whom I did a shoot a few months ago. I was very excited to get the e-mail from the lady who owns the website, as not only am I in their online magazine, but I have the front cover and 6 pages inside! The clothing is beautiful and it was a really fun day! You can see the magazine at the website - just click here

In other news, I've now added an "About" section to my blog, which you can access from the link at the top. My website is under construction at the moment, so for the time being, this is my internet base, as it were. I'm still working on getting a small gallery up here somehow, so watch out for that!

 Today will mostly be spent working on aforementioned gallery until 4pm, when I'll be heading to the National Portrait Gallery with my friend Anita DeBauch to see the Glamour of the Gods exhibition, a collection of Hollywood portraits, featuring Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor and Clark Cable, to name but a few!
It should be excellent, and will also give us the chance to pop into the BP National Portrait Awards exhibition and take a look at that, including the stunning painting of our friend Ivory Flame in a painting titled "Holly" by Louis Smith, which was awarded 2nd place.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea about the SoLovesVintage cover and layout, darling, but it looks amazing! You need to pimp yourself more ;) ;) ;) xx

    ReplyDelete

All images are copyright and may not be used without the express permission of the copyright holder. Powered by Blogger.

© Hannah Ashlea, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena